So I am playing on an indoor soccer team up in Woods Cross and it is killing me!!! I am so out of shape! Indoor soccer is intense to begin with, so when you are out of shape on top of that it is bad news. Keep in mind that I run like a mile every 3 weeks and feel pretty good about myself for that. For those of you who aren't familiar with indoor soccer, let me give you an idea of how much energy it takes. There are two 25 minute halves and play never stops-- there are no out of bounds, no timeouts, nothing. And the game is very fast because you can bounce it off the walls and the turf doesn't provide much resistance to the ball. Substitutions are done hockey style. It is exhausting.
I am playing co-ed, which means that there has to be at least 3 girls on the field at all times (there are 5 players plus a goalie on each team). Boys are only allowed to touch the ball 3 times before they have to pass it off. This equals A LOT of work for the ladies. My team isn't very big, so that is a lot of playing time for us girls. At tonight's game we didn't have ANY subs, boys or girls, until about 15 minutes into the game. Then we had one girl and one guy come. The other team had SEVEN subs! Don't worry, we still won.
It is really funny for me to play because in my mind I am still 17 years old and in awesome shape. When I see plays developing and I see my own options, my mind WAY overestimates what my body can do. Sometimes it is frustrating to know what I should be doing, but be physically unable to do it, but mostly I just think it is funny. For example, I had some shots on goal tonight that would have been super easy for me back in the day, but when I kicked it tonight, the ball went like 8 feet and then died.
I'm having a blast playing though. I really love playing soccer and sports in general. I found a women's soccer league to join up in Fairbanks last year (that was super fun cuz the ages ranged from 19 to 60 and the old ladies were tough Alaskan chicks that could kick my trash and also we had games that would start at 9:00 p.m., but it was still light outside cuz the sun doesn't go down). Hopefully I will be able to find a league out in D.C. this summer too!
I am playing co-ed, which means that there has to be at least 3 girls on the field at all times (there are 5 players plus a goalie on each team). Boys are only allowed to touch the ball 3 times before they have to pass it off. This equals A LOT of work for the ladies. My team isn't very big, so that is a lot of playing time for us girls. At tonight's game we didn't have ANY subs, boys or girls, until about 15 minutes into the game. Then we had one girl and one guy come. The other team had SEVEN subs! Don't worry, we still won.
It is really funny for me to play because in my mind I am still 17 years old and in awesome shape. When I see plays developing and I see my own options, my mind WAY overestimates what my body can do. Sometimes it is frustrating to know what I should be doing, but be physically unable to do it, but mostly I just think it is funny. For example, I had some shots on goal tonight that would have been super easy for me back in the day, but when I kicked it tonight, the ball went like 8 feet and then died.
I'm having a blast playing though. I really love playing soccer and sports in general. I found a women's soccer league to join up in Fairbanks last year (that was super fun cuz the ages ranged from 19 to 60 and the old ladies were tough Alaskan chicks that could kick my trash and also we had games that would start at 9:00 p.m., but it was still light outside cuz the sun doesn't go down). Hopefully I will be able to find a league out in D.C. this summer too!



2 comments:
Don't worry, you can get back into the 17 year-old shape in no time once you do not have to spend so much time studying. I think it would be great for you to play in DC. I was reflecting the other day on how I actually missed going to your soccer games (although not the ones played in the snow in Logan) and Sean's water polo games (loved those because they were short and indoors). Those were good times watching my children expending all that energy...my exercise came from jumping up and down screaming for you!!!!!
Yeah old age is a killer huh? ;)
Post a Comment