Friday, January 16, 2009

Sisterly Memories

Since my sister asked me to update my blog, I thought I would post a memory of us. The first memory to pop into my head was, of course, our choreographed dances on the trampoline to “Kiss From A Rose” by Seal, in the hopes that the neighbor boy would see us and fall in love.


The next memory I thought of was when she and I were riding our bikes past said neighbor boy’s house. Heather turned to wave at him and ran smack into the back of a parked van. The boy came running over and asked if she was okay and Heather responded with, “Ya, I think it is okay” as she patted her bike. Oh man, I can’t help but laugh hysterically at the memory of it.


The other memory that immediately popped into my mind was the drive home from Thanksgiving in Idaho in 2004. It had snowed a lot 2 days before we were supposed to drive home, but on the day of the drive the roads were dry and clear. Well I was driving my Jeep home and my sister and brother were with me. My parents were about 10 minutes behind us in my dad’s truck. We were driving along, everything was fine and dandy. The speed limit was 75 mph, so I was going about 80 mph. About an hour into the drive, we came around a corner and I saw snow on the road just ahead of us, but only on the fast lane. I started to change lanes and braked to slow down a little. Bad decision. We hit the snow when I was still braking and my tires were still angled to change lanes. We started spinning in the middle of the freeway. Luckily the car behind us was far enough behind that it didn’t hit us. We did probably 3 donuts on our side of the freeway, then started spinning towards the barrow pit, which mind you is shaped like a V for drainage purposes and also to prevent cars from going onto the opposite side of the freeway. So we’re spinning along and get into the barrow pit and I can feel the car start to tilt like we are going to roll over. Miraculously, the car didn’t roll and I swear it is because Heather was in the car and the blessing carried over to the rest of us. We did a couple more donuts and stopped maybe 4 or 5 feet away from the oncoming traffic. Surprisingly, all of us kids were very calm at this point—no one was freaking out or hyperventilating or anything. Our first thought was, “We gotta get out of here before Mom and Dad drive by.” I put the Jeep into 4 Lo and we started trying to drive out onto the freeway in the direction that we had been going, but we were just sliding back down into the barrow pit. My brother was going to get out and push, but he couldn’t find his shoes so he was going to go out there bare foot. I can’t remember if he actually did, but I don’t think so. Anyway, we ended up getting out onto the freeway going the opposite direction as we came. Literally about 20-30 seconds later we see my parents drive past on the other side of the freeway. About 20 seconds later we get a call from them saying, “We saw some tire tracks from someone who drove off the side of the road, so be sure to slow down and be careful.” They thought that we were behind them and they didn’t notice us on the other side of the road! Little did they know… Then I started freaking out and made Heather drive the rest of the way home. THE END.

5 comments:

Marissa said...

Please tell me that's a picture of you guys in bed with the neighbor boy and not a brother... pretty please!

Heather said...

Did you HAVE to mention the bike incident?! You do have a flaw in your memory though, he didn't wave at us, I looked back to see if I was beating you in our "race" around the circle....then BAM!

Andrea said...

Haha the bike incident is one of my favorite memories! Actually... it is one of the few memories I have of my childhood. You know how bad my memory is. If there weren't pictures of my childhood, I would probably think I was born at age 14.

Landon said...

Whatever Heather, you were totally trying to see if your romantic interest was checking you out.

Mom said...

Why is it that I don't remember hearing about this?